Asian food is my favorite food. It led a long and hard battle with Italian, but I think I have finally chosen my side. I love it due to its fast preparation and extraordinary taste achieved with no fuss at all. This is one of such examples. It tastes great and it is prepared in about 20 minutes. 30 if you take it really slow. 🙂
Sauce is a base and a topping of almost every asian dish I make.
In this case it is made as a marinade for the minced beef. If I can even call it a marinade since I let it stay combined about 10 minutes before cooking it. It gives that great umami taste to the meat and to the whole dish itself.
Minced beef can be replaced with pork, chicken or tofu, according to your preference.
Toppings and additions
Variety of toppings is what I like about rice bowls. Here are some of my favorites:
- Fried egg
- Spring onions
- Pickled carrots
- Pickled cucumbers
- Sesame seeds
I never miss on sesame seeds and spring onions. And whenever that is appropriate, I add a fried egg.
Runny yolk and crispy bottom is just how I like it.
Minced Beef Rice Bowl
- 3 cups rice basmati or jasmine
- 500 g minced beef or pork, chicken, tofu
- 1 shallot
- 1 fresh chili
- sesame oil
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small piece ginger minced
- spring onion
- sesame seeds
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients and add them to the meat. Combine well.
- Finely cut ginger and chili and fry it on a little bit of sesame oil.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the beef. Cook it for 7-8 minutes constantly stirring and breaking the meat chunks. The water should evaporate and the meat should get slightly charred. When done, set aside and fry the eggs.
- Goal is to achieve a crispy bottom and a runny yolk.
- Assemble by placing the rice on the bottom. Add cooked beef and kimchi. Top everything with egg, finely sliced spring onion and sesame seeds.