There are endless options for Shakshuka-type dishes. They are great as breakfast or brunch options, but can be eaten throughout the day actually, as far as I am concerned. This one is prepared with tomato sauce and beans, topped with avocado and spring onions. And don’t forget to serve some nice bread for dunking.
Shakshuka has so many varieties and you can basically use anything you have in the fridge.
Here are some of the ingredients I like to use:
Additions and toppings that make it so much better:
- feta cheese
- spring onions
- crunchy bread
- toasted seeds
Spicy Bean Shakshuka
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g beans precooked
- 400 g tomatoes canned
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 3 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 spring onion
- bread slices
- salt, pepper
- Finely cut the onion and cook it with a little bit of olive oil.
- After a couple of minutes, add minced garlic cloves and chili flakes.
- Add beans and tomatoes. Add herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Spoon small holes in the sauce to place eggs into. Add the eggs, season them with salt and pepper and cover with a lid.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until done.
- Top with avocado slices and sliced spring onions. Crack some pepper on top and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with some crunchy bread for dunking.