Salmon is probably most used protein in our kitchen. And recently i discovered how well it pairs with sweet & salty avocado and mango salsa. Combined with nutritious quinoa it gives a perfectly healthy and balanced meal that takes minimum effort when it comes to cooking. And perfectly delicious of course. Give it a try!
Perfectly delicious sweet and salty combination, slightly acidic and spicy. Ever since I tried combining this salsa with a fatty type of fish like salmon, it has been on our menu once a week.
And I don’t need to talk much about salmon, it is included in basically every third post I put online. Because I find it deserves it. It can be easily combined with so many flavors and ingredients. It suits spicy flavors as good as mild and creamy ones.
Salmon and salsa in this flavor combo call for some carbs and I find quinoa being ideal in this case. I often have a feeling that quinoa is a light carb since it feels much lighter than for example rice, but cooked quinoa contains 70% carbs and is a high carb food. But rich in protein and fiber.
Spicy Salmon with Mango Avocado Salsa
For the fish
- 2 salmon filets without skin
- ⅔ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dry thyme
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cubes butter
For the salsa
- ⅔ mango
- 1 avocado
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion medium sized (or 2 spring onions)
- ½ lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- salt, pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
- Mix all the spices together and rub the fish filets. Cook the salmon with a little bit of oil until nicely colored on all sides. In the end add butter cubes and let salmon get coated in butter foam.
- Cut mango, avocado and tomatoes in similar sized cubes. Finely dice the onion. Combine all the ingredient in a bowl, add salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix well, but not too harsh since avocado might lose its shape.
- Serve all three components together and enjoy!