Beetroot dishes aren’t only beautifully colored, but they taste great as well. Moreover, they are healthy. This hummus is perfectly savoury sweet in flavor and pair amazingly wit crunchy bread, crackers or vegetable sticks.
Hummus is great throughout the year, but making a variation of it by using ingredients that are in season makes it even better.
I have used beetroot this time. It doesn’t only give a beautiful color to the hummus, but it enriches it with its sweet and earthy flavor. Give it a try!
- 4 beetroots smaller (or 2 normal sized ones)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove bigger
- 3 tsp tahini
- lemon juice to taste freshly squeezed
- salt, pepper, olive oil
- Cook or roast the beets.
- When cooled down, peel them and cut into quarters. Combine them with all of the other ingredients and mix in a food processor or blender. Mix until it reaches a creamy and smooth texture.
- I recommend peeling the skins off of the chickpeas. It takes some time, but your hummus will be better and more easily digested.
- Lemon juice amount is up to your liking. I like it a bit on the sour side, so I ended up using juice of one and a half lemon. Keep tasting and adjusting the flavor to your own liking.
- Enjoy it with toasted bread, crackers, fresh vegetable sticks or as an addition to salad bowls.